We are now, more than ever, able to take our work along with us for getaways and family vacations. With mobile innovation reaching never before seen plateaus, the omnipresence of the internet, and the seemingly unlimited potential of wireless technology, even Barbados is not safe. Your work goes where you go. This luxury comes with some previously unforeseen risks.
Luckily, there are new ways to protect your small business while you and your employees work remotely. Preparedness is the first step in making sure that unanticipated threats do not get between you and your mojito. Here are a few ways to protect your business while on vacation:
- Installing a security program like Lockout Mobile Security (free for Android) will allow you to find your phone via GPS, back-up important data/messages/information, and most importantly provides you with remote wipe capability—should your phone be stolen or lost.
- Be sure to enable data encryption on all mobile devices—but don’t stop there, ensure that any thumb drives or external hard drives being used are encrypted as well.
- Ensure password complexity by using specific, enforceable password regulations for your employees.
- Make sure your laptops have BIOS hardware encryption turned on. This will make the device hard drive useless to a potential thief.
- Practice extreme vigilance with public wi-fi. Phony hotspots are used to steal data more frequently than most people think.
Unfortunately, there is no way to be 100% safe when taking your work on the road. That being said, a few precautionary measures can go a long way towards ensuring you can enjoy your well-deserved R and R.
Article by Scott Huotari, President CCSI, Google | LinkedIn